Cole is usually so rushed but he took painting the camouflage very seriously! He took his time and when I thought we were done he decided to do some touch ups!
Neil was in charge of helping Cole research the design, cutting, picking out the artillery (diorama parts) to glue on, and helping apply the army green base coat.
I was in charge of directing the detail paint job. Basically, I painted a few then told Cole to just kind of blob the paint on. Poor kid, I hovered over him for quite awhile until I trusted him do do it well.
When we got to the church all the boys surrounded Cole to see his awesome car. Cole is very much in his element at scouts. The boys are all very kind and like armies and potty humor as much as Cole! They all seem genuinely interested in one another. Most likely a reflection of such wonderful leaders. They put in so much effort and time to making scouts a memorable experience!
Cole won 1st in his first heat. Then took 2nd and 3rds for the rest of the time. One of his best friends took 1st in nearly every heat and won the overall event...which for Cole was as good as winning himself!
Only down side? The guy who was paid to run the event was so intense and way too into it for any adult not to be creepy. If the kids jumped over the track he threatened to make the kids pay him $5. He was joking (i think) but said it so seriously that when Cole and another boy jumped over the tracks (of course they did!) he scared them both enough that both boys were in tears. Cole calmed down quickly when I told him the guy was joking. My friend was not so lucky and her boy wanted to go home, which they did as the racing was over anyway! That man needs to get a life aside from the Pinewood Derbies!!!
All in all we can't wait for next year!


2 comments:
That looks like fun, I love the hummer! Thanks for the nice comment on my blog!
Congratulations on the cool car!!... I mean HUMMER! I love it. Even though I don't have any boys I still love the Pinewood Derby. I grew up with parents who served in the scouting program A LOT! I spent many days at the Pinewood Derby's. Not to mention that I had two brothers as well.
Good times, good times!
Post a Comment