A little while ago my I posted about my wonderful Grandma. Two weeks ago, my Mom came up to spend Conner's birthday week with him and come to Grandparents Day with Cole. She was here a day and a half and we got a call from Idaho that my Grandma was a in the hospital. We rushed up there as fast as we could. Things went so bad so fast. The doctors discovered she had Leukemia and gave a doubtful 6 weeks to live. It was so hard for everyone.
The boys and I stayed in Idaho (as did my mom) to try to help my mom and my aunt's take care of everything. My cousin Melanie and I did a lot of cooking, dishes, laundry, grocery shopping, etc for everyone. I loved that I was able to help everyone out during such a hard time. The most touching event was when I drove my 94 year old Grandpa to see his wife of 70 years for the last time. He knew it would be his last time. I borrowed a wheel chair from the hospital because he's almost 94 years old and has been getting a bit dizzy. I wheeled him into Grandma's room and got him close enough to hold her hand. She could barely speak as she had a stroke in the hospital.
They were both of so few words. She told him to take care of himself and that she'd be ok. He cried and kissed her hand a bunch of times. It was a priviledge to be in the room to see such devotion. I tried to give them their space but I was supposed to stay in the room incase Grandma needed anything.
The next day she was brought home so she could have her last days at home. I stopped by the house to say goodbye but she was too weak to talk at this time. When I told her the boys and I were going to go back to Utah now, she nodded her head. I told her I loved her and she nodded again. I told her it was ok and she'd be ok. At this a tear rolled down her check and she nodded again the closed her eyes. I hugged my aunt's, my mom, and Grandpa then left. My Grandma passed away about two hours later. It wasn't peaceful as we had hoped, for she struggled to breathe, but she is at peace now.
The funeral was Saturday and it was lovely. Many friends and family were able to come to honor my wonderful grandmother. I am so glad I had a good relationship with her and I am so happy she was able to hold my babies and love them. I am so glad my boys have great memories of their GG and that they are beginning to understand the Lord's plan of happiness.
I will miss her so much, her scones, her flowers that she magically grows, her love of me and my babies.


4 comments:
How sweet, it is nice that you have such great memories and pictures. You are great for going and helping with everything.
My mom and dad said the service was lovely. I'm so glad you've been able to go up to see her more often since moving here also. I've been thinking about you...
You put me into tears- again! What a memory (both bad and wondeful) to have for the end of her life here. I am so happy you were able to be a part of it. How much she must love you and your boys!
We are sorry for your loss. Thank you for posting such a sacred and special time.
Your Grandmother sounds like she was a special person and will carry on a wonderful legacy.
The plan of salvation is a wonderful thing to know at times like these.
Post a Comment